I got all excited to try this new Cuil search engine today but was extremely disapointed. The only thing Cuil does well is sucking. The first thing I did was to search for my name to see where on the front page it would show up (on Google I am the first hit). I was a bit surprised when I did not see my home page on the first page, second page, or third page. Maybe my site is not indexed at all. So I decided to search for one of my most popular posts, my Latex Resume Template post. Not only did it not come up but this great resource on LaTeX resume templates was also missing.
Let's look a little deeper and see how shitty Cuil really is. Try searching for "latex resume template" (obviously, remove quotes). The same search for latex resume template on google is orders of magnitude better. It doesn't take very long at all to notice the differences...
Let's look at the hits that Cuil gave us:
- Constantinos Michael & Latex Resume Template and Tips - It looks like this is the #1 hit. It looks like it might be useful, too bad it is down right now.
- Constantinos Michael & latex - A category listing page on the same site as the link above. Redundant.
- Latex Resume Template - Resume Advice - Let us help - Useless link-farm link.
- EZ Resume Writing - Details - Another useless link and it has nothing to do with LATEX.
- resume broadcast - Create a professional resume from - Shite
- Shareware Resume Soft: EasyJob Resume Builder - Link to crappy shareware, again, nothing to do with LATEX.
- Microsoft Word Resume Template - Do NOT click on this link. You'll get a pop-up and if you press OK it will most likely download some spyware/virus.
- PRWeb:: Browse News Release By Date - Most unrelated link possible.
- .: byrd card dennis football! rise and walk the trial - NO IDEA WHAT THIS IS?!
- Resume Templates Shareware: EasyJob Resume Builder - Same shareware site. Crap crap crap.
- Tutorials-Win.com Word Doc Management Programming - The context says "has anyone got a resume template on security guard/officer" but when you go to the site, that string isn't anywhere to be found.
Now let's compare with Google's first 10 hits:
- Using the LaTeX Resume Templates - Wow, a very useful link with 11 different LATEX resume templates with PDF preview and the *.tex source files
- Latex Resume Template - Another very useful link for a LATEX template style file.
- Latex Resume Template - The link to my very own LATEX template.
- LaTeX Resume Tips - A useful collection of links and tips regarding LATEX resume templates.
- Latex template for creating a CV/Resume - simple link, but potentially useful.
- Phase Portrait: New LaTeX Resume/CV Template - Another useful link!
- LaTeX Resume/CV Template/Example - Another LATEX template for download.
- Making a Resume in LaTeX - Another template.
- LaTeX CV Template - LATEX template for a CV.
- Dario Taraborelli: Typesetting your academic CV in LaTeX - 5 different templates for CVs - beautiful stuff.
There you have it. The funny thing is that Cuil returned slightly more hits than Google (67,900 results for Cuil vs. 63,000 for Google) but it doesn't make a difference when the top 10 are garbage in one and exactly-what-you-are-looking-for in the other. Google must be laughing their asses off right now. Apparently Dvorak thinks Cuil sucks too and he's pretty blunt about it.